The global Biochar Market was valued at 164.5 Million in 2022 and is projected to reach US$ 365.0 Million by 2030 at a CAGR of 12.1% during the forecast period 2022-2030.
Biochar Market Overview:
Biochar is charcoal primarily produced by the pyrolysis of biomass in an oxygen-free atmosphere. It is a carbon-rich sustainable solid material widely used in soil amendment applications to improve soil quality, plant growth and crop yields. Apart from this, it is used as a main animal feed supplement to stimulate digestion, toxin absorption, nutrient intake efficiency and blood values in cattle (cows and goats).
Biochar market size, estimates, and forecasts are provided in terms of sales volume (K Units) and revenue (million USD), with historical and forecast data for the period 2017 to 200, with 2022 being considered as the base year. This report segments the global Biochar market in detail. Regional market sizes related to products by type, by application, and by the player are also delivered. In estimating the size of the market, we took into account the impact of COVID-19 and the Russian-Ukraine war.
Key Market Updates:
- June 2021 - Wakefield Biochar signed an agreement with a wholly owned subsidiary of Vow ASA (collectively "Vow") to install an industrial-scale Biogreen system at the Wakefield facility in Valdosta, Georgia, USA. Drying equipment, biochar synthesis based on proprietary Biogreen technology, and conversion of CO2-neutral syngas to energy dedicated to biomass drying are among the $5.15 million turnkey systems Vow will deliver and commission in 2022 a part of.
- November 2021 - Vale announces an investment of RMB 60-70 million in a biochar pilot project of China Baowu Steel Group Co. Ltd. Both parties commit to work together to develop steelmaking solutions that reduce greenhouse gas emissions under the terms of the MOU.
Major Segments Covered in the Global Biochar Market:
Market Key Players:
Cool Planet, Biochar Supreme, NextChar, Terra Char, Genesis Industries, Interra Energy, CharGrow, Pacific Biochar, Biochar Now, The Biochar Company (TBC), ElementC6, Vega Biofuels., And Others.
Biochar Market by Types:
- Wood Source Biochar
- Corn Stove Source Biochar
- Rice Stove Source Biochar
- Wheat Stove Source Biochar
- Other Stove Source Biochar
Biochar Market by Applications:
- Soil Conditioner
Biochar Market by Regions:
The report estimates revenue growth at the worldwide, regional, and country levels and delivers an analysis of the recent industry trends in each sub-segment from 2017 to 200.
Asia Pacific dominated the global market in 2020. The potential significance of the region in terms of soil improvement and carbon sequestration is a major driver of the field. Furthermore, the enormous economic and agricultural development in the region is also contributing to the market expansion. In the Asia-Pacific region, China is the main producer of this charcoal. The region is dealing with crop residue disposal, soil contamination, quality deterioration, field burning and greenhouse gas emissions. Hence, conversion of agricultural waste into this product and use of this product as a soil amendment in farmlands is driving the growth of the region to overcome these issues.
North America is the second largest market for this type of char globally and is likely to witness significant expansion owing to increasing demand for organic food and high meat consumption. The growth of the industry is aided by the many local and large producers working across the country and the world. According to the USBI (U.S. Biochar Initiative), domestic char production represented by respondents ranges from 5,000 to 70,000 tons per year. Canadian output rose by 1,700 to 6,600 TPY, while North America totaled 18,700 to 76,600 TPY.
Europe is another major region for this market. The market is expanding owing to the abundance of forestry wastes in Europe. Regulations in Europe regarding organic waste disposal and high disposal prices will help in making money from waste and boost market growth. In 2020 Europe produced about 17.000 tons of this charcoal and 15 new systems were installed and commissioned. Germany has the highest market share in Europe. The widespread adoption of this char in agricultural and horticultural applications is due to properties such as carbon sequestration and soil enhancement. The government has taken several measures to reduce annual greenhouse gas emissions by around 55% by 200 and is expected to build 72 new factories by the end of 2022 to accelerate growth in the region.
- North America
- Rest of North America
- Nordic Countries
- Benelux Union
- The Netherlands
- Rest of Europe
- South Korea
- Southeast Asia
- Rest of Southeast Asia
- Rest of Asia-Pacific
- The Middle East & Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
- Rest of the Middle East & Africa
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
Significant Market Dynamics:
Awareness of environmental protection is increasing widely all over the world. People are demanding strict regulation to protect the environment from waste and carbon pollution. The government has adopted several stringent policies to protect the environment and encourage the use of this product for various purposes including energy production, livestock raising, etc. By reducing waste and leading the way towards the Sustainable Development Goals. It can be effectively used as fertilizer after being added to the soil. Increasing regulations to protect the environment are boosting the growth of the global biochar market during the forecast period.
Biochar has various benefits and uses in the market. It is cost-effective, reduces waste, is non-polluting, and has cheaper raw material costs. It has several uses, one of which is in livestock feed, the utilization of this product for livestock feed is rapidly increasing across the world as it helps in improving the health of animals and provides them with organic nutrition. Using this substance as feed helps absorb toxins from the animal's body and aids in digestion. Farmers in some areas have started feeding cows this daily. This increases the demand in the industry and drives the growth of the market over the forecast period.
Technological inefficiencies and lack of knowledge about product advantages hamper market growth
The lack of a sustainable carbonization manufacturing process will continue to be one of the major constraints limiting the development and potential consumption of this product. Lack of efficient low-emission carbon synthesis technologies, especially remote or mobile production, hinders market value. High cost of such products and potential structural constraints such as shortage of capital for producers, immature carbon market, and short tenor of mining land recovery bonds continue to hamper market growth. While the commercialization of this product is still in its early stages, the lack of consistency and standardization of this difficult-to-market product hinders market expansion.
Report Scope of Global Biochar Market:
CAGR of 12.1% from 2022 to 2030.
Wood Source Biochar, Corn Stove Source Biochar, Rice Stove Source Biochar, Wheat Stove Source Biochar, Other Stove Source Biochar
Soil Conditioner, Fertilizer, Others
Cool Planet, Biochar Supreme, NextChar, Terra Char, Genesis Industries, Interra Energy, CharGrow, Pacific Biochar, Biochar Now, The Biochar Company (TBC), ElementC6, Vega Biofuels.
Regions and Countries Covered
- North America: (US, Canada, Mexico, Rest of North America)
- Europe(Germany, France, Italy, Spain, UK, Nordic Countries, Benelux Union, Rest of Europe)
- Asia-Pacific (Japan, China, India, Australia, South Korea, Southeast Asia, Rest of Asia-Pacific)
- The Middle East & Africa(Saudi Arabia, UAE, Egypt, South Africa, Rest of the Middle East & Africa)
- Latin America(Brazil, Argentina, Rest of Latin America)
- Rest Of the World
2017 to 2022
2022 to 2030
Points Covered in the Report
- The points that are discussed within the report are the major market players that are involved in the Market such as Market players, raw material suppliers, equipment suppliers, end users, traders, distributors and etc.
- The complete profile of the companies is mentioned. And the capacity, production, price, revenue, cost, gross, gross margin, sales volume, sales revenue, consumption, growth rate, import, export, supply, future strategies, and the technological developments that they are making are also included within the report. This report analyzed 12 years of data history and forecast.
- The growth factors of the market are discussed in detail wherein the different end users of the market are explained in detail.
- Data and information by market player, region, type, application and etc., and custom research can be added according to specific requirements.
- The report contains a SWOT analysis of the market. Finally, the report contains the conclusion part where the opinions of the industrial experts are included.
Frequently Asked Questions-
What is the CAGR of Biochar market?
The Biochar Market is growing at a CAGR of 12.1% During Forecast Period.
What are the key types and applications of Biochar market?
- Wood Source Biochar, Corn Stove Source Biochar, Rice Stove Source Biochar, Wheat Stove Source Biochar, Other Stove Source Biochar
- Soil Conditioner, Fertilizer, Others
Who are the key players in Biochar market?
Cool Planet, Biochar Supreme, NextChar, Terra Char, Genesis Industries, Interra Energy, CharGrow, Pacific Biochar, Biochar Now, The Biochar Company (TBC), ElementC6, Vega Biofuels., And others.
Any special requirements about this report, please let us know and we can provide a custom report.
Note – In order to provide a more accurate market forecast, all our reports will be updated before delivery by considering the impact of COVID-19 and the Russia-Ukraine war.