The global Lactase Market was valued at USD 247 Million in 2022 and is projected to reach USD 336 Million by 2030 at a CAGR of 6.3% during the forecast period 2022-2030.
Lactase Market Overview:
Lactose is a sugar found in milk and other dairy products, and lactase is an enzyme that helps break down lactose in milk into simple sugars, glucose and galactose. Factors such as increasing demand for lactose-free products and increasing product development and innovation in other application areas such as pharmaceuticals, dietary supplements, and infant nutrition are expected to drive the demand for lactase enzymes globally. Major players in the market are launching new food items such as lactose-free creams, ice creams, and milk substitutes to address the growing population with lactase deficiency.
Lactase market size, estimates, and forecasts are provided in terms of sales volume (K Units) and revenue (million USD), with historical and forecast data for the period 2017 to 2030, with 2022 being considered as the base year. This report segments the global Lactase market in detail. Regional market sizes related to products by type, by application, and by the player are also delivered. In estimating the size of the market, we took into account the impact of COVID-19 and the Russian-Ukraine war.
Key Market Updates:
- In June 2022, Koninklijke DSM N.V. (Netherlands) announced a merger with Firmenich (Denmark). Firmenich is one of the key leaders in flavors and fragrances. The merger will help the company strengthen its market position in nutrition, health and beauty. According to company sources, the merger will be completed in 2023.
- February 2022, Kerry Group plc. (Ireland) Acquisition of c-LEcta (Germany), a German biotech innovation company that produces enzymes. c-LEcta focuses on precision fermentation and bioprocessing of enzymes. This acquisition will help Kerry to make a breakthrough in the lactase market.
- November 2021, CHR. Hansen Holdings A/S (Denmark) has launched Sweety Y-3, its next generation enzyme solution. This lowers the added sugars in the yogurt and boosts the natural sugars. It helps preserve the quality of dairy products without added sugar. The listing will help the company increase its market share in the lactase market.
- May 2022, Kerry Group plc. (Ireland) expanded its reach by opening a state-of-the-art condiment manufacturing facility in Africa. This will help the group produce sustainable nutritional solutions and expand its food, beverage and pharmaceutical businesses in Africa. It will also help the company expand its lactase portfolio in newer geographies.
Major Segments Covered in the Global Lactase Market:
Market Key Players:
DSM, Novozymes, DuPont, Chr. Hansen Holding, Amano Enzyme, Enzyme Development, SternEnzym, Specialty Enzymes & Biotechnologies, Enzyme Solutions, Advanced Enzymes, Zhongnuo BioTech, Enze Bio, Meihua BioTech, Kono Chem., And Others.
Lactase Market by Types:
- Neutral Lactase
- Acid Lactase
Lactase Market by Applications:
- Food Industry
- Pharmaceutical Industry
Lactase Market by Regions:
The report estimates revenue growth at the worldwide, regional, and country levels and delivers an analysis of the recent industry trends in each sub-segment from 2017 to 2030. Europe led the market in 2019, accounting for more than 48% of the global revenue. The demand for dairy enzymes is high in Europe owing to the well-developed food and beverage processing industry. Also, technological advancements and the presence of major manufacturers such as DSM and Chr. Hansen Holding A/S in Europe is one of the significant factors driving the regional market. Optimistic perceptions about health and nutrition have led to an increase in per capita spending on lactase dietary supplements in the region. Asia Pacific is projected to be the fastest growing regional market from 2020 to 2027 owing to rising economic importance of lactase over the past decade. Development and rapid industrialization of the food and beverage industry in the region, especially in China, India, and Vietnam, has opened up new opportunities for the Asia Pacific market. An estimated 80% of adults in Central Asia and 90-100% of adults in East Asia have an impaired ability to digest lactose, compared to 2% in Denmark. As most of the Asian population suffers from lactase deficiency, the demand for lactose-free dairy products is likely to increase, thereby supporting the market growth.
- North America
- Rest of North America
- Nordic Countries
- Benelux Union
- The Netherlands
- Rest of Europe
- South Korea
- Southeast Asia
- Rest of Southeast Asia
- Rest of Asia-Pacific
- The Middle East & Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
- Rest of the Middle East & Africa
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
Significant Market Dynamics:
The development of primary lactose intolerance is temporary and is detected before the small intestine is fully developed in premature infants. Secondary intolerance occurs when an adult has digestive problems in the small intestine. Secondary lactose intolerance is triggered by conditions such as Crohn's disease or gastroenteritis. According to the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI), nearly 65 percent of the world's population is susceptible to lactase deficiency. Consequently, this has led to an increase in the production of lactose-free dairy products, which helps lactose-intolerant people avoid gastrointestinal problems.
A major recent consumer demand is the need for dairy alternatives to combat the epidemic of milk allergies, calorie concerns, lactose intolerance and hypercholesterolemia. Other factors such as price, flavor exploration and environmental concerns have also contributed to this shift. Plant-based products are less expensive compared to meat and dairy. Due to the use of enzymes, the production of lactose-free products is at a high level. Dairy alternatives and vegan products offer consumers different ingredients, tastes and textures.
Lactase is extracted from different sources. However, recent research and development has mainly focused on finding newer alternatives such as bacteria and fungi as sources for extracting enzymes. Enzymes are also used to increase the nutritional value of food and feed products. In addition, enzymes reduce water consumption and chemical waste, and reduce the generation of by-products with negligible risks to humans and ecosystems. Lactase obtained from fungal sources has an acidic pH and is stable and can be widely used in the food and beverage industry as it has to go through different production processes.
Many consumers are unable to consume milk and dairy products due to lactose intolerance. Lactose-free milks are available, but they are more expensive compared to the cost of regular milk. Reduction of lactose in milk and dairy products has been explored using many different methods. The high cost of lactose-free products is due to the additional cost of the lactose hydrolysis process. SMEs are unable to manage costs effectively due to limited funds and resources and lack of implementation knowledge and resources
Report Scope of Global Lactase Market:
CAGR of 5.1% from 2022 to 2030.
Neutral Lactase, Acid Lactase
Food Industry, Pharmaceutical Industry, Other
DSM, Novozymes, DuPont, Chr. Hansen Holding, Amano Enzyme, Enzyme Development, SternEnzym, Specialty Enzymes & Biotechnologies, Enzyme Solutions, Advanced Enzymes, Zhongnuo BioTech, Enze Bio, Meihua BioTech, Kono Chem.
Regions and Countries Covered
- North America: (US, Canada, Mexico, Rest of North America)
- Europe(Germany, France, Italy, Spain, UK, Nordic Countries, Benelux Union, Rest of Europe)
- Asia-Pacific (Japan, China, India, Australia, South Korea, Southeast Asia, Rest of Asia-Pacific)
- The Middle East & Africa(Saudi Arabia, UAE, Egypt, South Africa, Rest of the Middle East & Africa)
- Latin America(Brazil, Argentina, Rest of Latin America)
- Rest Of the World
2017 to 2022
2023 to 2030
Points Covered in the Report
- The points that are discussed within the report are the major market players that are involved in the Market such as Market players, raw material suppliers, equipment suppliers, end users, traders, distributors and etc.
- The complete profile of the companies is mentioned. And the capacity, production, price, revenue, cost, gross, gross margin, sales volume, sales revenue, consumption, growth rate, import, export, supply, future strategies, and the technological developments that they are making are also included within the report. This report analyzed 12 years of data history and forecast.
- The growth factors of the market are discussed in detail wherein the different end users of the market are explained in detail.
- Data and information by market player, region, type, application and etc., and custom research can be added according to specific requirements.
- The report contains a SWOT analysis of the market. Finally, the report contains the conclusion part where the opinions of the industrial experts are included.
Frequently Asked Questions-
What is the CAGR of Lactase market?
The Lactase Market is growing at a CAGR of 5.1% During Forecast Period.
What are the key types and applications of Lactase market?
- Neutral Lactase, Acid Lactase
- Food Industry, Pharmaceutical Industry, Other
Who are the key players in Lactase market?
DSM, Novozymes, DuPont, Chr. Hansen Holding, Amano Enzyme, Enzyme Development, SternEnzym, Specialty Enzymes & Biotechnologies, Enzyme Solutions, Advanced Enzymes, Zhongnuo BioTech, Enze Bio, Meihua BioTech, Kono Chem., And others.
Any special requirements about this report, please let us know and we can provide a custom report.
Note – In order to provide a more accurate market forecast, all our reports will be updated before delivery by considering the impact of COVID-19 and the Russia-Ukraine war.